- A resident cannot waive the protections under the federal nursing facility law or protections derived from any state or local nursing facility law.
- A resident cannot waive his or her right to Medicare of Medicaid coverage.
- A nursing facility cannot obligate a friend or family member to become liable for the nursing home bill.
Also, some tips from Justice in Aging for residents and advocates are:
- Review admission agreements carefully.
- Delay signing the admission agreement until after the resident moves into the facility (you may have more leverage to make changes after the resident is admitted).
- Challenge any improper provisions in admission agreements.
- Obtain legal representation.