The need for nursing home care oftentimes comes as a surprise leaving people unprepared for when a loved one needs care. Luckily, there are still ways to increase your chances of finding the right nursing home, getting good care there, and saving a significant portion of your family’s assets.
In an emergency situation where the requirement of nursing home care comes unexpectedly, the first step to take after stabilizing the medical situation is to call an elder law attorney. Depending on the situation and the amount of time available to prepare, the following steps are recommended:
- Find the right nursing home. You can do this by looking on the internet or you can call The Elder and Estate Planning Law Firm for a Nursing Home Guide. Next take tours of the facilities you have in mind and ask the facility all of your questions.
- Be careful before you sign any admissions contract. These can be tricky and you want to be sure that you have good advice so that you don’t take any actions that you will regret later.
- Review current powers of attorney, wills and trusts to be sure that you have all of your legal bases covered.
- Check into the availability of any insurance coverage which might help you pay for the cost of care.
- Determine how you are going to pay for the nursing home care and whether Medicaid benefits will be necessary.
These are just some of the steps you should consider. Most importantly, seek the advice of someone who has helped many families through this difficult process.