Credit to the firm of Chalgian & Tripp for help in creating this list of common things people want to believe, but experience suggests they believe them at their own peril.
- You will not get dementia.
- Government benefits will be there when you need them.
- You will not live to be 90 or older.
- You will always live in your own home.
- You will never need assistance with your care needs.
- The 40 to 50 year old child you are supporting will someday become self-reliant.
- Your children will use the money you gave them to support you.
- You children will not fight over your estate.
- The will you downloaded from the internet is sufficient.
- If I choose to do no planning, everything will work itself out.
Many of these beliefs carry significant negative consequences. Which ones are you most guilty of?