Adults age 65 and over comprise about 20% of all drivers in Michigan. This number is projected to increase along with older adult accidents. With driving being such an important factor in maintaining independence, here are a few common sense tips to help older drivers remain safe:
- Avoid driving at night.
- Avoid rush hour times and locations.
- Avoid driving in bad weather.
- Avoid higher speed driving situations such as a busy expressway.
- Limit your driving to familiar areas.
- When driving in conditions or locations in which you are not comfortable, allow someone else to drive.
Following these precautions can help keep older drivers safe and accident free. Be sure to share these tips with a loved one who may need some driving intervention. It could save them from a devastating car accident.