When caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s or Dementia, it is extremely important to have a working relationship with a primary care physician. The following are tips from the Alzheimer’s Association in order to make the most out of doctor’s appointments:
Before the Appointment:
- Plan ahead. Make a list of all your questions and concerns.
- Give details. Make notes about changes in behavior and be as specific as you can.
- Bring all medications. A person with Alzheimer’s may be under the care of multiple doctors and it is important that everyone know about all medications the patient is taking.
During the Appointment:
- Ask questions. Your doctor is an important source of information, do not be afraid to speak up.
- Talk about treatment goals. Make sure you understand all treatment options and the risks involved with each.
- Keep good records. Make sure to update your records with any changes in treatment or medication.
- Leave with a plan. At the end of the appointment ask the doctor to repeat the most important points and write them down.