The Administration on Aging has released its 2016 Profile of Older Americans and some interesting facts were noted including:
- Over the past 10 years, the population of those over age 65 increased 30% and is projected to more than double by 2060.
- Over the past 10 years, the population of those over age 60 increased 34%.
- The age 85+ population is projected to triple by 2040.
- Over the past 10 years, the population of those aged 45-64 increased by about 15%.
- About one in every seven persons is age 65 or older.
- Someone reaching age 65 has an average life expectancy of nearly 20 additional years.
- About 29% of non-institutionalized older persons live alone.
- Nearly half of women age 75 and older live alone.
As our population continues to age, individual planning for long term care becomes more important than ever as our government cannot afford to cover the cost of such care.