The Alzheimer’s Association has released their annual facts and figures report: 2018 Alzheimer’s Disease Facts and Figures. Here are a few highlights of topics covered in the report:
- An estimated 5.7 million people have dementia in 2018.
- Almost two-thirds of Americans with dementia are women.
- Approximately 1 in 10 people age 65 and older has Alzheimer’s dementia.
- The lifetime risk of developing Alzheimer’s at age 65 is approximately 21% for women and 11.6% for men.
- The estimated lifetime of health care and long term care costs for someone with Alzheimer’s is $341,840.00.
Here’s a link to the report: https://alz.org/documents_custom/2018-facts-and-figures.pdf