How our firm can help you!

How to get help paying for the cost of Nursing Home Care:

Many people cannot afford to pay $7,000 or more per month for the cost of a nursing home. Or, those who can pay for a while often find their life savings wiped out in a matter of months. Fortunately, the Michigan Medicaid program is available to help if you can pass strict tests on the amount of assets you can have. Often you can legally save thousands of your hard-earned dollars and still qualify for Medicaid benefits.

How to qualify for Veteran’s Benefits:

If you are an honorably discharged veteran or the spouse of an honorably discharged veteran, you may qualify for benefits under the VA’s Aid and Attendance Program. This benefit can be worth up to nearly $2000 per month for a veteran or more than $1000 per month for a surviving spouse. This VA pension benefit can be a tremendous blessing for those wartime veterans or their spouses who are facing the overwhelming burden of paying for an assisted living facility, nursing home care or in home care. We offer the guide: Veteran’s Benefits – A Well Kept Secret to provide some basic information about the Aid and Attendance Program. To discuss how this program could benefit you or a loved one, contact our office to schedule a confidential consultation.

How to legally qualify for Medicaid Benefits:

Nearly everyone who is worried about paying for nursing home costs has heard something about the Medicaid rules or how to qualify for Medicaid benefits. The majority of time, this information is completely wrong and very detrimental if acted upon when seeking Medicaid qualification. Even that information which was accurate at one time is often no longer true because of the frequency in which the Medicaid rules are changed. Fortunately, there are legal strategies which can be used to protect assets and qualify for Medicaid benefits. As a Certified Elder Law Attorney, Brett Howell has helped hundreds of families protect their hard earned assets from nursing home expenses. We also offer resources like the Consumer’s Guide to Medicaid Planning, Top Ten Medicaid Planning Mistakes and How to Avoid Them and The 9 Questions You Must Ask if a Loved One is Going into a Nursing Home to help families who do have a loved one in a nursing home. If you have additional questions, contact our office to schedule a confidential consultation.

Do you need a will or trust?

Nearly every adult should have a will or trust as part of their estate plan. Unfortunately, few people understand the significant differences between a will or trust and which one is most appropriate for their circumstances. Our guide titled: Top Ten Estate Planning Mistakes and How to Avoid Them can help answer some common questions and help you avoid mistakes that are often made when choosing between a will or trust. To discuss your particular situation, contact our office for a confidential consultation.

Do you need a Special Needs Trust for your disabled child?

Planning for a disabled child often requires the use of a Special Needs Trust. A Special Needs Trust is designed to protect assets for the “special needs” of a disabled child while allowing them to receive need-based government benefits such as Medicaid or Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Typically an inheritance or monetary settlement will cause the disabled child to be disqualified from any need-based government benefits. However, establishing a Special Needs Trust can protect those assets for the benefit of the disabled child while maintaining eligibility for Medicaid or SSI. Our guide titled: Protecting a Disabled Child or Adult can help families who have a disabled child. To discuss your particular situation, contact our office for a confidential consultation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *